Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A New Role in Life

This past weekend I attended a funeral. That in itself is enough to make you stop and look at your life.

However this one really made me stop and think.

As I listened to eulogy after eulogy I began to realize what kind of impact this amazing woman made during her very long life. She was somewhat of a woman's right activist in her own way. Never one to take no for an answer.

Even though she led a very successful life, what amazed me the most was her husband of 69 years sitting in the front row with their 3 children, 7 granddaughters and 6 great grandsons.

As I sat there and listened and took in what was around me, I realized that this was my grandparents generation. These were the people that my dad had grown up with calling them Aunt and Uncle, so naturally that's how I refer to them as well.

The old adage "life is short" is something that we should never forget. We could wake up one morning and not the next. This is part of what led me to one of the biggest decisions I have ever made. It was also the hardest.

Marrying my husband. That was a no brainer.

Having children. Yet another easy decision.

Leaving my job to raise my children. Now that's another story.

I went back and forth over that one for weeks. Months even.

But in the end I realized that this was an awesome thing that I was fortunate to be able to do.

And life is short and I wasn't about to miss any of it.

Sure some days are incredibly stressful. Especially when there are no naps or tag-teamed crying spells. Or when there is a sick kid or a dog that throws up or wakes the babies by barking at a leaf.

But there are also days when I catch my kids talking to each other or laughing at one another. Or the baby smiling at me,  and my daughter walking. I get to see all that first hand and it makes what seemed like a hard decision an easy one.

Life is short and your time here is not a dress rehearsal. Make sure you make the most of each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment