Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Wait List

I feel like I am applying to college all over again.

It's high school repeating itself. The fear of rejection. The possibility of acceptance. All the emotions that go with both of those things.

However, it's much worse.

It's applying for a 2 year old program for my Peanut. When did she even get old enough for me to have to worry about this? I'm pretty sure that just yesterday we were planning her first birthday.

Now I'm looking for a 2 or 3 year old program for her to attend to prepare her for kindergarten. Holy cow. I am so not ready for all of this.

The place I contacted this morning told me that she was a bit young to enroll her in a program but I could put my name on the wait list. And they could possibly start her in September but on a trial basis because she would be just 2.

The whole time I was on the phone with this very nice, very understanding lady, my brain was screaming.

No you can not have my child.

She's my baby.

How can I send her to you 2 or 3 days a week?

However, I managed to keep it together and answer her questions. I even set up a visit with enthusiasm. Because deep down I know it's what she needs. She needs to have this freedom and socialization. It's going to do nothing but prepare her for the many, many years ahead of school that she has.

The next step would be visiting.

'Bring your child' she said.

'Let her run around and play,' she said.

Umm yeah about that. She can play. She does that really well.

It's the walking thing she's not too sure about. However we are getting there. Everyday she walks more and more. And we do work with her.

Hopefully my husband won't have to carry her down the isle at her wedding.

Kidding.

But seriously. Who would have even imagined that there would be a wait list for these types of programs?

I'm just grateful that she doesn't understand the fear of rejection yet. Let her parents worry about that for now so that she can continue to be a happy, growing toddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment